Saturday, July 24, 2010

Rules for posting comments

Advanced Biology students will be required to post a minimum number of comments per week to stories/videos on this blog.  See the class wiki for each week’s requirement.
Below are a few rules/guidelines to follow when posting to this blog.
  • Not use your full name, or the full name of any other students.
  • Not plagiarize and will always cite your sources.
  • Not use any swear words,  inappropriate, or insulting language.
  • Try to spell everything correctly, use good grammar, and complete sentences.
  • Contribute thoughtfully and constructively
  • Only give respectful, constructive criticism.
(adapted from Mr. Bird at Biology in Action)
Some things to consider when writing your comments:
  • Should be 2-5 sentences in length (potentially more, but not less!)
  • Write meaningful comments that add to the conversation.
  • Show the author that you hear them. “I hear you saying….”
  • Respond to others thoughtfully and respectfully.
  • Use your comment to show why you think the topic is important/interesting/controversial.
  • Read the comments posted after yours.
  • Be respectful of other people and their opinions.
  • Constructive criticism only, no derogatory or inflammatory remarks, critique the idea, not the person.
  • Model good spelling and grammar.
  • Support your comments with evidence.
  • Only comment on posts after you have read the whole post.
  • Suggested response prompts:

    • This made me think about…
    • I wonder why…
    • Your writing made me form an opinion about…
    • This post is relevant because…
    • Your writing made me think that we should…
    • I wish I understood why…
    • This is important because…
    • Another thing to consider is…
    • I can relate to this…
    • I don’t understand…
    • I was reminded that…
    • I found myself wondering…
(from Scattergood Biology)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.